Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inGamer News

The Force Unleashed

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
guyderman

guyderman

Number of posts : 1853
Localisation : If there is a bright centre of the universe, Im in the city that is farthest from it - Birmingham
Registration date : 2007-07-11

The Force Unleashed Empty
PostSubject: The Force Unleashed   The Force Unleashed I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 24 2008, 06:02

First Review I've ever done, but thought I would follow in Obi's Footsteps - hope you enjoy it and it answers any ones questions as to wether it is a good game or not!

This is one of these games that will have two perspectives, the view of the regular gamer and the view of a Star Wars fan.

I am going to try and write this review as objectively as possible but it may be difficult as I am a Star Wars fan boy.

First of all I will start with the game play itself. Anyone familiar with games of a similar ilk to this (Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, Psi Ops) will find that game play wise it’s pretty formulaic. Start at point A fight your way to point B fight Boss to move on to point C. Luckily for me – I like this sort of game and as much as I enjoy the ‘Sandbox’ game play of games such as GTAIV and the Online battles of COD4 it was nice to return to the roots of Old fashioned video game play – I suspect that a lot of people won’t be quite so glad of this as I was, and I will freely admit that this does limit the lifespan of the game – this will not be another COD4 for longevity.

The controls are great on the game – they feel very natural and once you build up your abilities you really ‘feel the true power of the Dark Side!’ I actually found myself at first being happy simply chucking stormtroopers but as I built in power it was a case of Levitate a stormtrooper, impale him with my lightsaber, fry him with force lightning and then hurl him at his buddy’s – whilst laughing in an evil fashion.
But the game is no walkthrough – as you build in power so do your foes and the quantity of foes – it would be easy to pass the game off as a button basher – but unless you apply a bit of strategy and learn your combo’s you will not finish it by simply hitting all buttons.

Boss battles can be tough and all are ended in context button presses in the style of Resident Evil 4 and the finishes look superband again bring you back to the story feel of the game!

The graphics in the game are excellent and really do give the Star Wars feel – the amount of detail is incredible. You can scrutinise the backgrounds and find so many nice little touches that give odes to the flms – The scrap planet is a perfect example where there are so many scrap ships hidden within the rubble that you can’t help but realise that this game was made by fans. One of my personal favourite touches was Jar Jar Binks frozen in carbonite in an Imperial centre.

The characters look fantastic and the main characters modelling of actor Sam Witwear, (Battlestar Galactica and Smallville), looks perfect . The acting is superb too, all characters play their parts really well and none of it is the usual overacting you come to expect from video game cut scenes. (although Vaders voice takes a bit of getting used to – that was always gonna be the case though).

The story line is very good and does a nice job of tying in the two trilogies – there is plenty here that will make fans cheer and also change their prespective on certain events and there are a few nice twists too – (I won’t spoil anything in this review).

For me the highlight of the game is the Music – both the new music and the Star Wars themes we have come to know and love are mixed in together seamlessly . The music builds on all the right moments and there are parts that make the hair stand on the back of your neck. It makes what is a great feeling game to play so much more impressive and epic. I recommend cranking the Volume when you play this!

There are collectables which have been added – the usual power ups, costumes, Lightsaber crystals which allow you to change the colour of your blade and add abilities and may make you want to play through again to collect what ever you have missed – also you may wish to play again to do the alternate Lightside/Darkside ending.

Like I said at the start there will be two points of view – regular gamers – should find this game good fun but won’t get a long life from the game – maybe in 6 months times pick it up for £15 and give it a go.
Star Wars fans – Good solid gameplay with story, Music and a true Star Wars feel to give the game that little bit extra – may be worth looking at sooner – I really enjoyed it!
Back to top Go down
ObiwanKanBlowMe

ObiwanKanBlowMe

Number of posts : 4478
Localisation : Manchester - THE BEST PLACE TO LIVE ON THE FUCKING PLANET
Registration date : 2007-06-15

PostSubject: Re: The Force Unleashed   The Force Unleashed I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 24 2008, 06:09

applaud applaud
cheers mate trophey
Back to top Go down
RuairiD

RuairiD

Number of posts : 1416
Localisation : Norn Iron - Capital of the UK & starting point for the creation of this puny planet
Registration date : 2007-11-10

PostSubject: Re: The Force Unleashed   The Force Unleashed I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 24 2008, 06:15

Nerd thud

Only joking bud. applaud bounce really good review, you should do them more often, Obi's just make me Sleep

lol!
Back to top Go down
Hursty02

Hursty02

Number of posts : 1330
Registration date : 2007-08-07

PostSubject: Re: The Force Unleashed   The Force Unleashed I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 24 2008, 06:40

Can already get it for £20 from the gamestation
Back to top Go down
guyderman

guyderman

Number of posts : 1853
Localisation : If there is a bright centre of the universe, Im in the city that is farthest from it - Birmingham
Registration date : 2007-07-11

PostSubject: Re: The Force Unleashed   The Force Unleashed I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 24 2008, 07:12

Hursty02 wrote:
Can already get it for £20 from the gamestation

For £20 it's deffo worth a look if you like that sort of game - it's good fun.
Back to top Go down
ObiwanKanBlowMe

ObiwanKanBlowMe

PostSubject: Re: The Force Unleashed   The Force Unleashed I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 24 2008, 07:50

Quote :
Obi's just make me Sleep

Wanker Wanker
Back to top Go down
RuairiD

RuairiD

Number of posts : 1416
Localisation : Norn Iron - Capital of the UK & starting point for the creation of this puny planet
Registration date : 2007-11-10

PostSubject: Re: The Force Unleashed   The Force Unleashed I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 24 2008, 08:15

OBI 1CAN BLO ME wrote:
Quote :
Obi's just make me Sleep

Wanker Wanker

lol! lol!

Knew that would annoy you. cheers thud
Back to top Go down
ObiwanKanBlowMe

ObiwanKanBlowMe

PostSubject: Re: The Force Unleashed   The Force Unleashed I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 24 2008, 09:09

lol bawbag!
Back to top Go down
rocket the frog

rocket the frog

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2007-07-12

PostSubject: Re: The Force Unleashed   The Force Unleashed I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 24 2008, 10:10

my son is star wars mad .....so i picked it up and too my surprise im really enjoying this game starwars good review guy cheers
Back to top Go down
ObiwanKanBlowMe

ObiwanKanBlowMe

PostSubject: Re: The Force Unleashed   The Force Unleashed I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 24 2008, 12:11

im gonna get it eventually Smile i enjoyed the demo and to be honest even if it was really pish i'd still get for the story part lol
Back to top Go down
rocket the frog

rocket the frog

PostSubject: Re: The Force Unleashed   The Force Unleashed I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25 2008, 10:09

OBI 1CAN BLO ME wrote:
im gonna get it eventually Smile i enjoyed the demo and to be honest even if it was really pish i'd still get for the story part lol

you can borrow my copy you douche Exclamation
Back to top Go down
rocket the frog

rocket the frog

PostSubject: Re: The Force Unleashed   The Force Unleashed I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 25 2008, 10:09

OBI 1CAN BLO ME wrote:

you can borrow my copy you douche Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Force Unleashed   The Force Unleashed I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Force Unleashed
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Video Game Reviews-
Jump to: