Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inGamer News

Brothers In arms: Hells Highway

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ImpaledGremlin
Admin
ImpaledGremlin

Number of posts : 2800
Registration date : 2007-06-14

Brothers In arms: Hells Highway Empty
PostSubject: Brothers In arms: Hells Highway   Brothers In arms: Hells Highway I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 27 2008, 13:09

ok I know not many of you have got this but that a few are interested

This game plays single player exactly as the prvious games in the BIA series. For those not in the know this means you are a squad leader, you can run around and shoot people but your main function is to order your squads around. You must spot the enemy then get one or more of your squads to fire at them to keep them supressed, then you or the other squad flank them. Thats pretty much the game summed up. It plays quite gritty in style much like the the brothers in arms tv series with dirt and blood flying up and splattering your screen. There are some nice touches, the camera zooms in on headshoots and explosions and you see bodies (or parts) fly across the battle field.

Single player can be quite unforgiving, it takes only a few hits and you are down and start again. This is particularly frustrating when in the cities and moving through bombed buildings. You have the 2 enemy squads supressed and begin flanking them only to suddenly find another 2 squads waiting. DOH ! but in all if you die it only takes a try or two more before you find the best way forward. I have not finished single player yet but i am sufficiently into the campaign to want to play it through all the way.

Controls are simple and apart from no melee attack plays much like other games apart from squad commands, you can sprint, snipe and chuck nades. the game features many cut scenes to try and get the atmosphere building and to make you relate to the characters more. Sometimes these last a little too long in my opinion and you just want to get on and shoot people.

Single player worth a go if you like shooters but you hve to remember you need to use your squads its not just about you!!!!

Multiplayer in the past has been more of the same you control a squad and so does your other player this was frankly a bit WANK ! Good news this time they have changed it. BAD NEWS this time they changed it but short changed you. WHY? well let me explain firstly it plays well aside from some graphical issues its good.

Multiplayer: Its more GRAW than COD the maps are small and its tense. The guns are obviously old style WW2 and i personally like this, they are less accurate but have a grittier feel. The way it works is you have 1 squad leader and upto 9 other players. This is important aspect as the squad leader can call in 1 air recon and 1 air strike. those used to COD be prepared this airstrike is a single bomb not a carpet bombing of an entire city area. The game itself is disappointing in that you have 1 game mode. Yes thats right 1 (one). How wank is that !!!! the mode is a basic capture the flag but with a slight twist. one side attacks and they have a flag carrier if he dies he drops the flag but if another member reaches it beofre times up the game continues. You have a choice of 2 enemy flags to reach and you lower their flag and then the flag carrier must raise yrs. Or you simply kill all opposing players for the win. The winners get a point and you play again, the winners always attack, losers defend. When you reach a set total its game over.

overall I have to give this game 8 / 10 for single player, its good fun, hard at times but i feel most would play through fairly quickly and probably not come back to it.

for multiplayer im torn as on one hand i really want to give it a pish score as i feel 1 mode / 6 maps is a fucking con frankly. BUT having played online several times i am left wanting more playtime, its quite tense if people are talking it gets tactical so i have to give it a 7/10 multiplayer score. More modes especially are needed and some other maps before this could score higher.

Graphically after the advances we have seen in gears and COD this game is slightly lacking, during multiplayer quite often you see the player sliding across floors rather than moving, other than this though the players all look quite good but it certainly is not the best looking game. Single player looks better but is still not in the same league as others.
Back to top Go down
rocket the frog

rocket the frog

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2007-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Brothers In arms: Hells Highway   Brothers In arms: Hells Highway I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28 2008, 07:31

good honest review gremmo..........i mode and 6 maps is pish innit
Back to top Go down
ImpaledGremlin
Admin
ImpaledGremlin

Number of posts : 2800

PostSubject: Re: Brothers In arms: Hells Highway   Brothers In arms: Hells Highway I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 28 2008, 12:01

hopefully obi will do a litlle summary of his views now he has played sp and mp. its a real shame there are at least not more modes as online is quite good
Back to top Go down
ObiwanKanBlowMe

ObiwanKanBlowMe

Number of posts : 4478
Localisation : Manchester - THE BEST PLACE TO LIVE ON THE FUCKING PLANET
Registration date : 2007-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Brothers In arms: Hells Highway   Brothers In arms: Hells Highway I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29 2008, 11:55

Not really played the MP that much, didnt know there was only 1 mode and 6 maps though, that's pish.

SP = Not the best FPS, but i'm really enjoying it.....like i said the other night though don't expect to be playing this one for 12 months! (It's a quick fix until pes, fallout and gears!)
Back to top Go down
Vinchante

Vinchante

Number of posts : 530

PostSubject: Re: Brothers In arms: Hells Highway   Brothers In arms: Hells Highway I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 29 2008, 14:17

thnx for the review. Shit game. trade it in
Back to top Go down
http://www.vincentsmit.nl
ObiwanKanBlowMe

ObiwanKanBlowMe

Number of posts : 4478
Localisation : Manchester - THE BEST PLACE TO LIVE ON THE FUCKING PLANET
Registration date : 2007-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Brothers In arms: Hells Highway   Brothers In arms: Hells Highway I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 15 2008, 04:02

I'm trading this game in on Friday for Pes.

I actually enjoyed the single player, I wasn't really gripped by the story - seen it all before - but I enjoyed the game play as it's so different from COD4, and given we've spent the last 12 months on COD a little change was always good.

Single player looks nice enough, and the slow motion camera shots of people's arms/legs being blown off are pretty sweet lol.

The guns are not very accurate, unlike COD4, but it just makes that headshot kill a whole lot sweeter!

Single player I’d go for 7/10 - not the best FPS I’ve ever played, but like grem said by no means the worse - probably the best of a bad bunch of FPS on the 360.

MP - Oh dear, oh dear oh dear - to quote Barry chuckle!..And quiet honestly after playing this online I’m starting to think the Chuckle brothers may have actually had a hand in the development of the online play!

Now only offering 1 game mode & 6maps alone is a scandal, but then for the frame rate to drop from the single player is total pish. Like grem side, people sometimes slide past you rather than walk. When taking cover on some walls you show through them, which isn't fun when you get shot!

After playing one of the best games I’ve ever played online in COD4 (the set up, the ranking system, the maps, the lobbies & modes & the pretty pretty graphics) this game is not really comparable. Ok, so it's not run a round like a nob shooting anything that moves ala COD, it's more tactical. But you couldn't even compare it to GRAW. GRAW with the 40+ maps, at least 10 game modes & actual tactical play online.

I'd give this a 0/10 online...Harsh I know, but certain games in a genre have set a standard now for me, whether that's GRAW for it' sheer size of MAPS, tactical elements and tense battles, or COD4 for array of options in your classes, perdy graphics & great online party system (I know this is a halo thing before you say champ) - but my point is this, if you're releasing a FPS & offering MP, then you have to look at what is already out there, and this game offers nothing new online & doesn't come close to what's already out there.

So to sum up, if you had a day or 2, would recommend the single player, but don't bother going online with this pish poor online effort!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brothers In arms: Hells Highway   Brothers In arms: Hells Highway I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brothers In arms: Hells Highway
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Video Game Reviews-
Jump to: